Sunday, July 28, 2013

Middle schoolers, frisbees, and concerts!

So this last week, I, along with two of my classmates, helped out as a co-teacher in one of the many education program that is run by the Museum of Natural History.  We got to work with the Evolution Institute, a 2-week long "camp" that allows middle school students to enhance their understanding of evolution and everything that goes along with it.  Let me tell you, it was quite the experience.  And I want to TEACH middle school?...hm, we'll see how that goes!

It was really cool to work with the kids though.  They were pretty rowdy and loud at times, but very smart!!!  I even got to teach part of the curriculum on Friday, talking about Linnean taxonomy and Cladistics (things I had only learned in high school or college!)  So even though it was challenging to deal with their behavior sometimes, I was very impressed by some of their super smarts too!  They seemed to take well to my teaching, so I suppose that's a good sign!  The next two weeks I am working with a different museum program, and I will update you on how that goes later!

Another thing I've been up to is I ended up joining an Ultimate Frisbee team with my friend from the MAT program! It has been super duper fun and given me a good constant as I continue to settle into my move here in NY!
I'm throwing the frisbee to my teammate on the far left!
My team and I waiting for the other team to throw the disc!
Yesterday, I went out to Long Island to a free concert in Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, NY.  The line up included A Great Big World, Sarah Bareilles, and Plain White T's.  It was a super fun concert, and I got to meet Chad Vaccarino and Ian Axel from A Great Big World! One of my new favorite bands.  I didn't have anything for them to autograph, so I asked them to sign my purse! I guess I'll have to carry that purse around and get more signatures on it, I'm turning it into my autograph purse!

Me, Chad, and Ian!


No comments:

Post a Comment